The prevailing stereotype is that accounting jobs are boring “bean-counter” positions for people who don’t mind the daily 9-5 grind and predictable tasks. However, the industry isn’t all banks and Wall Street. Every facet of our economy relies on accountants to keep track of profits and budgets, so you can actually find some pretty fascinating positions in the accounting field – if you know where to look.
Exciting Accounting Jobs Include:
- FBI agents who track down drug cartels based on their paper trails
- Software experts who flex their hacking skills to check for cyber-security vulnerabilities
- World travelers who investigate Swiss and other foreign-owned bank accounts for tax fraud
- Caregiver coordinators who handle the finances of people who cannot live independently
- Environmental consultants who ensure businesses are complying with federal regulations
- Financial advisors to celebrities and professional athletes
- Congress members who chair the finance branches of the government
- Forensic accountants try to reconstruct transactions to find inaccuracies in financial records.
- University professors who establish global accounting standard and advise on policies
- Chief Financial Officers who manage the investments of Fortune 500 firms
- Entrepreneurs who seek angel investors and funding to get a new business up and running
Imagine perks like court-side NBA tickets, backstage passes to movie premiers, or being wined and dined by millionaires. If you pursue the “Certified Public Accountant” credential, any of these exciting accounting jobs can be yours! The myth that you’ll be punching numbers into a calculator all day just doesn’t jive with reality. No matter what type of accounting jobs you’re interested in, there will be a lot of problem-solving involved.